S.E Melbourne Scale Modelling Page Forum Index S.E Melbourne Scale Modelling Page
A Bulletin Board for Modellers of the South East : Copyright PMG 2007

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airfix 72nd scale Concorde

Post new topic   Reply to topic    S.E Melbourne Scale Modelling Page Forum Index -> Kit Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwragg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Airfix 72nd scale Concorde Reply with quote

The Aérospatiale-BAC Concorde aircraft was a turbojet-powered supersonic passenger airliner, a supersonic transport (SST). It was a product of an Anglo-French government treaty, combining the manufacturing efforts of Aérospatiale and British Aircraft Corporation. First flown in 1969, Concorde entered service in 1976 and continued for 27 years.

Concorde flew regular transatlantic flights from London Heathrow (British Airways) and Paris Charles de Gaulle (Air France) to New York JFK and Washington Dulles, profitably flying these routes at record speeds, in less than half the time of other airliners. Concorde also set many other records, including the official FAI "Westbound Around the World" and "Eastbound Around the World" world air speed records. Concorde was the more successful of the only two supersonic airliners to have ever operated commercially, the Tupolev Tu-144 being the other. Nicknamed "Concordski" by Western Europeans for its outward similarity to the Concorde, Soviet espionage efforts had resulted in the theft of Concorde blueprints, ostensibly to assist in the design of the Tu-144.[3] The Tu-144 ultimately flew first, achieved a higher maximum speed, but was hampered by higher fuel requirements that restricted its range compared to Concorde.

With only 20 aircraft ultimately built, the costly development phase represented a substantial economic loss. Additionally, Air France and British Airways were subsidised by their governments to buy the aircraft. As a result of the type's only crash (on 25 July 2000), world economic effects arising from the 9/11 attacks, and other factors, operations ceased on 24 October 2003. The last "retirement" flight occurred on 26 November 2003.

Concorde remains an icon of aviation history, and has acquired an unusual nomenclature for an aircraft. In common usage in the United Kingdom, the type is known as "Concorde" rather than "the Concorde" or "a Concorde".
The Build
This is one of the hardest kits I have ever built, lets start, fit is something shocking. I have put Evergreen card under each join to strengthen it and also have used Evergreen card as a filler. The wind screen is actually too long and it needs quite amount of filler and work to correct the shape of the cockpit area. I will have to put some black card inside the cockpit to simulate the antiglare panel.
I have used Tamiya Matt White for the prime and glossed this over with Clear acrylic polish. On the wings I have used an automotive polish compound. You will uses lots and lots of filler in this model and I believe there is a replacement nose for it, I would suggest that the nose be replaced. Decals are good, except a little brittle, try some vanish on them before use.
iwragg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: The progress of the build Reply with quote

I have estimated that I have used nearly a tube of filler and a packet of Evergreen card in this build. I used Car polish on the wings, but I suggest that Future/Clear may be better. the Decals are fine, but definitly use a softener with them. Also looking back on it, I should have given them a coat of clear varnish to strenghten them. I will post further pictures tonite
iwragg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Photo of progress Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    S.E Melbourne Scale Modelling Page Forum Index -> Kit Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: