Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Location: Endeavour Hills, Australia
|Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:47 am Post subject: F-14B Tomcat - Hobby Boss 1/72
|I started this one early in July as my part of the club's theme builds for the Waverley Interclub competition.
Apart from the longitudinal seams in the intake trunks, the fit is almost perfect. On the finished article there are only two slight steps on joins, one at the front/rear fuselage join, and the other at the front of the windscreen.
I sprayed the colours that the instructions called for, but the top looked too dark and the bottom too light compared to pics I'd seen, so I went and got some different shades of grey, used one straight from the bottle for the bottom, and used that and a darker one to mix for the top.
Then I was having coniptions doing the masking for the black, and for a while I was regretting having chosen the Last of the Jolly Rogers scheme - man there was a lot of fiddly masking needed! The antennae on top got in the way somewhat.
But I pushed through that and got it done, only to be confronted with another problem the next night when I sprayed the clear gloss coat on (Gunze aqueous acrylic) - it went streaky grey, I presume because the atmosphere was very humid that day. Well I almost caused some atmospherics of my own, but kept my cool and managed a full and very satisfactory recovery simply by brushing Future on it. Phew! I didn't take a pic of the grey streaks though.
I applied all of the decals before I attached the horizontal tails, here's how I aligned them while the glue hardened.
And here a some of the complete item.
In this pic you can see how I've got a slight mis-alignment of the bottom ends of the diagonal stripes on the LH external fuel tank. I think I did well to get the ends that close, as I had to trim them all before I used them - I applied the first one and trimmed it as close as I could to the bottom centre line, then used the offcut piece to measure the amount I needed to trim off the rest.
I had some self-induced drama attaching the probes to the sides after everything was done which caused a bit more of a delay on the Friday, you can see the result of my first attempt at the front one on the RHS, resulting from getting too much glue on the part, which then wanted to stick to my tweezers and then fell over onto the painted surface.
So a bit of careful masking was required so that I could re-spray that patch, the result is good at first look, but if you have a close look in the flesh you can see a slight difference in paint texture.
Also when I came to attaching those probes, I found that the instructions were rather vague and even misleading with the locations of the decals, result is that I've now got the bottom probe on the LHS in the corner of a decal.
After all my trouble with those probes, three of them came off at our club meeting the next night, so I had to bring it home so that I could re-attach them - that was almost a disaster with our 4 1/2 year old twin grandsons around while I did it, but I managed it.
I also found out while I was attaching the legs, why the instructions call for the nose gear to be glued in to the gear bay at the very first step - the the fuselage opening at back of the bay tapers inwards towards the back, and I had to make a slight modification to the end of the leg to allow it to fit in its mounting hole and under the fuselage skin - sometimes the kit instructions are done the way they are for a reason.
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.....