S.E Melbourne Scale Modelling Page Forum Index S.E Melbourne Scale Modelling Page
A Bulletin Board for Modellers of the South East : Copyright PMG 2007

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hawk/Italeri Lysander Mk. I 48th scale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    S.E Melbourne Scale Modelling Page Forum Index -> Kit Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwragg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Hawk/Italeri Lysander Mk. I 48th scale Reply with quote

The Westland Lysander was an army cooperation aircraft of World War Two that gain most of its fame in clandestine roles such as transportation of agents in and out of occupied territory and dropping of supplies and equipment to resistance groups fighting Nazi occupation.
The aircraft was designed in the mid thirties and incorporating pilot desires in to its design. The result of this design process was an aircraft with 360 degree vision and STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) characteristics. This was probably the first aircraft designed with STOL in mind.
The aircraft served in other less exciting roles such as target tug and communications. The machine was slow, but rugged and very popular with its aircrew, it was withdrawn from service in 1946. A number exist in museums today.

The Build
This is a very old kit, 1960s vintage. External detail is very good for the period, however internal detail is almost non existence and what is there is very inaccurate, so my suggestion is to put the aircrew in, or do a lot of scratch building. Fit is very good, except around the spats, a required a fair bit of filler there. The decals were useless with age, and they didn't look good anyway, so throw them away and replace them with more accurate versions.
Be aware of a common mistake with the Lysander, that is having a dihedral in the wings. The Lysander had no dihedral, but the inner parts of the top surface of the wings tapered to the fuselage, this gave the illusion of a dihedral.
I used Humbrol paints, in keeping with tradition, but Testors Dull coat as a matt finish.

Some extra pictures for your reference:

Quote:
A good beginners build and weekender, however if you want more quality, go for the more modern Eduard kit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    S.E Melbourne Scale Modelling Page Forum Index -> Kit Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: